Re: Ornish diet...

Fri, 3 Sep 1999 "Pinkoski, Aiko" <apinkoski@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>I don't think anyone's commented on the NON cold turkey approach
>so I thought I would add that viewpoint....
>If you can't go cold turkey, just do the best you can!  I think in
>one of his books, Dean Ornish himself admits to eating chocolate,
>and says that however much or little change you can make, is better
>than no change.

Well said!

I havn't gone FF (dairy being the problem), but my transition from full meat to
lacto vegetarian was very slow. I thought the process might be helpful.

The first step was to consider meat a GARNISH, not a main portion of the meal,
so I would build a meal, then add a minimum of meat for flavour.

This is easy to do, and gets admiring comments from others.

I did this for years, gradually cutting down to an occasional tuna addition,
and fast food. Fast food is by far the hardest thing to cut out - "just this
once" does devestating things.

Anyway, when I finally said "Okay, no more meat." it had to be sudden and
ABSOLUTE, not because I lacked discipline, but because it was unbelievable to
EVERYONE around me. To prove I was serious to them, I had to be absolute about
it.

Its been absolutely WONDERFUL to cut out all take away, its makes such a huge
difference.

>I'm about 95% ornish now for 7 years, unless I'm traveling, with most
>of the 5% being chocolate and coffee!  I would add that you should
>only eat the best chocolate (so a little goes a long way).

Arrgh, chocolate is virutally all fat... Milk is my problem.

Spicy (Lacto) Vegetarian Sandwitch
----------------------------------
This comes in 3 versions, depending on whether you are going to eat it
straight away or keep it, and a whether you have low fat cheese slices.

Goals:

A sandwitch can be considered just a list of ingrediants, you just put them
on bread, however I wanted a sandwitch which could be kept for at least a
day without the bread getting soggy. I also want to be able to bite into it
without the insides spilling out the opposite end.

Ingrediants:

sliced multi-grain bread - with lesser bread its just a snack, not a meal
sliced cheese - optional
canned sliced beetroot
whole tomato - preferrable with a diameter the same size as the bread
sprouts - any kind, optional
red onion - optional if eating right now, and don't like spicy
lettuce
paper towels - if not eating straight away

Note the cheese is simply to help stop the beetroot and tomato juices from
reaching the bread. It addes flavour but is not essential. Naturally choose
a low fat one.

I get a very cheap (generic brand) beetroot, as the pieces are more
variable in size, and this makes it easier to make a flat layer.

Sprouts have health warning in the USA and Australia, please check before
including them. Zuchini slices are a reasonable substitute.

Slice the red onion thicker for more spice. If not eating straight away,
include it anyway, as the sandwitch goes a little bland after a few hours.
I punch out the growing center of each slice.

Construction:

cheese first, or lettuce if not using cheese, to seal the bottom layer of
bread.

beetroot second, 1 layer. If the sandwitch is not being eaten straight
away, drop the beetroot on a paper towel to get rid of some of the juice.
Flip it over to dry both sides before using it.

tomato third. I slice each slice in half, and put the straight edge against
the outside of the bread slice. This gives a more stable sandwitch.

sprouts fourth. Make an even layer.

red onion fifth, just a single slice, not a layer

lettuce last, to seal the top layer of bread.

Result:

The sandwitches stack about 5 high, retain their flavour over time,
mimimise soggy bread, and don't explode when bitten.
--
daiajo@xxxxxxxxx	Daiajo Tibdixious	Geek
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hub/2399/