Natural flavors and more

> Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 22:17:52 -0500
> From: Natalie Frankel <natalie.frankel@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Butter Flavored Sprinkles (ie Butter Buds)

> I just checked a container of HyVee Butter Flavored Sprinkles in the fridge
> that I bought at a grocery store in Iowa.  This is a store brand, not
> Butter Buds brand.  The ingredients are: Maltodextrin (a natural
> carbohydrate derived from corn), salt, natural flavors, extractives of
> tumeric and annatto (as color), less than 2% Silicon dioxide  (as
> anticaking).

"Natural flavors" can be most anything - even b**f f*t. You can call
the manufacturer to find out what their natural flavors consist of,
but it's very likely that they contain some animal product. I know
this is getting a bit nit-picky, but there you go.

BTW, thanks for whoever suggested toasting brown rice before adding
water to cook it. Works great!

I have another cooking need: I cook a lot more greens lately, stronger
tasting ones like kale and collards and mustard. I usually saute them
in garlic and **l to make them a little more palatable. I'd like to
eliminate the fat from them, but I really like the texture achieved
by using **l, and I like the tamer flavor. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jane