cheese sauce

Hi Sophie,

I don't know whether you tried my cheese sauce or not, but it's a very
simple recipe.  The only thing I can think of is that you might not be using
the right kind of yeast?  I know the first time I tried to buy it at Whole
Foods, the clerk tried to convince me that brewer's yeast was the same as
nutritional yeast.  Since I made this recipe in a cooking class, I knew what
the nutritional yeast was supposed to look like.  If you have any doubts
about the quality of the yeast, get the Red Star brand that's been fortified
with B12.  Also, the soy milk could make a difference.  The one I use is the
VitaSoy original (it's a higher fat content but when you calculate the total
fat per serving including what you pour it over, it isn't so bad.)  You
don't have to use a double boiler to heat the sauce.  Just put everything
into a blender and blend till creamy.  Then heat in a saucepan till
thickened.  I'm afraid I don't have any other ideas.

Cheese sauce

1 can Great Northern beans (or Cannellini), drained
1 1/2 cups soy milk (the higher the fat content, the creamier the sauce --
you choose)
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 1/2 Tablespoons arrowroot (or cornstarch)
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
6 Tablespoons nutritional yeast (NOT brewer's yeast, blech!)
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 teaspoon onion granules
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon yellow mustard

Blend all ingredients in a blender.  When creamy, pour into a saucepan and
heat till it thickens.  Pour over grains or pasta or use as nacho cheese.

Susan Swierkowski
susan.swierkowski@xxxxxxxxx