bulgarian-stew recipe

Date:    Mon, 20 Jun 94 14:58:42 CDT
 From:    maoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Maureen O'Halloran)

 _Bulgarian Red Pepper Stew_

 (slightly adapted from _Sundays at Moosewood_ cookbook)

 1/2 cup dried lentils
 1/2 cup dried navy pea beans (small white beans)
 2 large onions, chopped
 6 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
 2 teaspoons dried basil
 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
 1/4 teaspoon salt
 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
 3 to 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock (2 cans)
 1 6 oz can prune juice
 1/4 cup dry red wine (optional)
 2 Tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
 1/4 cup tomato paste
 plain nonfat yogurt(optional)
 fresh parsley
 *****
 Cover lentils and navy beans with plenty of water and soak 4
 hours or overnight.  Drain. In a large nonstick saucepan, saute
 onions in sherry or  red wine or stock until soft (5  minutes)
 Stir in bell pepper and saute 5 minutes more.  Add basil,
 marjoram, thyme, cayenne, paprika and cayenne, saute another
 few minutes.  Pour in remaining stock, wine or sherry.  Add
 drained lentils and beans.  Bring to a boil, then lower heat and
 simmer gently about 1 1/2 hours or until beans are soft.  Mix
 in tomato paste, prune juice, salt and pepper to taste.  Cook
 for several minutes more.  If the stew seems too thick, add
 more stock or water.  Serve garnished with yogurt and
 chopped parsley.
 kwvegan vegan