Mushroom-Garlic Gravy Recipe

Relieving garlic and onion smell on fingers...
After you have peeled and cut up your onion or garlic, take a stainless steel
knife (or any stainless utensil) and rub your fingers over it. It will take
the smell right off your fingers.

From:
Moms Vegetarian Cooking
Food my Kids Love to Eat
(Hopefully to be published by 2002)

SHEILA'S MUSHROOM-GARLIC GRAVY

1 c. water
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 med. onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, sliced (I love garlic, so I add 6 or more halved cloves)
1/4 tsp. dry basil
1 stalk celery, finely chopped

1/4 c. flour
1 c. water (for cream sauce, substitute 1 c. ff milk & 1/2 c. ff sour cream
                   in place of water)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Step 1
On med. heat in lg. skillet saute first 6 ingredients until onion is
translucent.

Step 2
In sm. bowl whip together next 4 ingredients until lumps are smoothed out.

Step 3
When skillet mixture begins to boil reduce heat to med. heat.

Step 4
Stirring constantly, slowly add 2nd mixture to skillet mixture until boiling
stops and thickening occurs. As long as this is boiling you must continue
stirring.

Step 5
Reduce heat to lowest setting. Stirring periodically, simmer for 15 mins.

Serve over potatoes, loaves and pastas.
Enjoy, Sheila B.
copy right SRB 2000