Fat substitutes in baking for scones

Last night, I made shortcakes modeled mostly after a recipe in the
Millennium Cookbook, which used pureed frozen corn in place of the fat.
They turned out very well.

I've also found that for scones and soda breads, replacing a small amount
of the flour with oat flour (about 2 tablespoons to the cup) makes for a
huge difference in tenderness.

Here's the recipe for the shortcakes, to give some idea of proportions.
(When I make it again, I'll use less maple syrup and water; the dough was
almost batter-like, not cuttable, and I thought the result a bit on the
sweet side. I baked them in English muffin rings.)

VEGAN DESSERT SHORTCAKE
(4 shortcakes)

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 Tbsp oat flour
3 Tbsp white cake flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
pinch salt

1/3 cup maple syrup
6 Tbsp water
1/4 cup frozen corn
drop of lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper and 4
English muffin rings.

Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl.

Place wet ingredients in a blender, and process thoroughly until smooth.

Pour into dry ingredients, and mix quickly until combined. Distribute
evenly among muffin rings, and bake about 20-25 minutes, just until lightly
golden on the bottom. Do not overbake!