Sob noodles

Soba is a noodle made from buckwheat flour.  Some varieties contain other
ingredients, like wheat flour or yam flour, but the best quality soba are
those made primarily of buckwheat flour.
(From:  Cooking The Whole Foods Way by Christina Pirello)

I first heard about Soba noodles way back in the early 80's when I became
interested in macrobiotics and whole food cooking.  I can practically
guarantee you wouldn't have found soba noodles listed as an ingredient in any
of the magazines back then.  Shows we have come a long way baby!

Barb in FL