Ratatouille

I make this or variations of it often.  Its from Laurel's Kitchen cookbook.
You can play around with the vegies, remembering eggplant and zucchini
produce liquid, so you don't want to add a lot unless you want it to be more
soupy, in which case it will taste good anyway!

RATATOUILLE

l large eggplant (or a couple of small ones)
2 medium zucchini
1 large onion
1 green pepper
1 whole clove fresh garlic
Some saute medium of your choice (example: vegie broth)
3 fresh, ripe tomatoes, chopped
OR 5 T. tomato paste and 3 T water
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. oregan
(NOTE:  I always use a garlic/tomato paste, canned. I mess around with the
herbs, I grow some fresh herbs and use those.  I add potato sometimes and
carrots or mushrooms too.  Whatever is on hand I want to add to the
ratatouille)

Dice eggplant into 1 inch cubes and slice zucchini in 1/2 inch rounds. Chop
onion coarsely and cut green pepper into squares.  (No need to be fancy with
your slicing)

Use a heavy-bottemed saucepan with a lid.  Saute the onion, garlic and green
pepper until they are soft; stir in eggplant and zucchini and saute a few
minutes more.

Crush garlic clove with a fork.  Add tomato and seasonings. Cover and simmer
gently for 30 min. to an hour or until all the vegies are well cooked.

Uncover and turn the heat up to evaporate some of the liquid (if need be)
stirring as necessary.
Serves 6 to 8   ENJOY!