garlicky fat-free mashed potatoes (vegan)

>>Has anyone ever heard of a recipe (or a mix) for fatfree or very low fat gravy and mashed potatoes? Thanks, Judy

This is a recipe that I've made quite a few times DESPITE the fact that neither my husband nor I is a huge fan of mashed potatoes. It's such a great recipe, in fact, that it doesn't need any gravy or any butter! It's from the Millennium Cookbook: a fabulous nearly total vegan cookbook I recommend to anyone. It's chock full of gourmet (many low-fat and reduced-fat) recipes from Millennium -- my favorite (vegetarian) restaurant in the San Francisco Bay Area. The braised garlic recipe that follows is a fabulous way to enjoy roasted garlic without using any olive oil. I almost always have some of this in my fridge not only because it's so useful, but also because it makes the whole house smell wonderful when its cooking!

Fat-Free Mashed Potatoes
4 russet potatoes, peeled
1/4 cup Millennium Braised Garlic (see below)
1 tsp sea salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Bring large pot of water to a boil. Cut potatoes into 2-inch cubes and add to boiling water. Cook potatoes until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain potatoes in a colander for about 10 minutes. In a large bowl, mash potatoes with the garlic, salt, and pepper until smooth. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.
Per Serving: 104 calories, 2g protein, 24g carbohydrate, 0g fat, .1mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 2g fiber

Braised Garlic
4 large heads garlic
1 cup vegetable stock, or dry white wine
1 tsp minced fresh rosemary (optional)
1 tsp minced fresh thyme (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut 1/2 inch from top of each garlic bulb. Place garlic heads in a small baking dish. Add stock or wine, thyme, and rosemary. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake 1-1/2 hours, or until garlic soft and slightly brown. Let cool to the touch. Squeeze garlic out of the sliced-open top and store in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Makes 1 cup.
Per Tablespoon: 16 calories, 0g protein, 4g carbohydrate, 0g fat, 0mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, .2g fiber

Enjoy!
Kelly Tyler-Simon

kellyts@xxxxxxx