Crockpot question

I have had a crockpot for many years but I don't know much about how to
use it.  I have a question.  I made a recipe in the crockpot using sweet
potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, and some other things.  Once I get it
just right, I will share it with all of you.  It came out pretty good but
I think I put too much water in the crockpot because the seasonings were a
bit diluted plus it was too watery.  I filled the crockpot with water to
cover all the potatoes, squash, and carrots.  Did all these veggies  need
to be covered with water?  If I just fill the crockpot part way with
water, will the veggies still cook all the way through just from the heat
and steam if they are not sitting in the water?  Can any one help me with
this?

Thanks,
Celeste