HEALING - We need comfort foods - sweet potatoes 'n cherries

Hi everyone!

I'm working hard on getting myself and my family mentally well after the
horrid attacks, and also working on providing "comfort food" for the family.
Here is something I made last night that was surprisingly good.  My next door
neighbor brought over some Door County (Wisconsin) dried cherries and fresh
apples yesterday afternoon.  This dish sort of just "happened."

I'd also be interested to know of any other "comfort food" recipes not just
because it is post-attack, but also because it is autumn and harvest season
and sometimes chilly.  Any ideas?  If they are not ff or contain other
abominable ingredients, please contact me privately.  Thanks.

Also, does anyone out there have a *loaf * recipe that comes anywhere close
to a good old fashioned meatloaf?  It seems that I have been searching for a
century to fill that hole in my life.  Something that you can serve with a
blob of mashed potatoes (ff of course) and "gravy" (ditto) and a green veg of
some kind.

Sweet Potatoes 'n Cherries - serves 4 adults as a side dish

2           Fresh Sweet Potatoes, peeled and sliced in to 1/2 inch slices
1/2         Vidalia Onion, sliced
1/2 cup     Dried cherries
1/2 cup     Water

Layer first three ingredients in the order shown, and then add water, in a
covered casserole dish.  Bake at 350 for about 1 hour, I didn't really time
it (you can probably microwave it, too, but our microwave is in need of a
fuse or something right now).  Add more water as necessary during cooking.

The tartness of the dried cherries was a wonderful juxtaposition to the sweet
potato.  It hit us/me just right!

Ruth in the brisk and blue-sky Chicago 'burbs where people are loving one
another
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is that good men do nothing"

     Edmund Burke