BK Veggie Burger

I copied this from the Vegetarian Resource Group's web site.
        VRG-NEWS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I hope it answers some questions.
Carla

4) QUESTION OF THE MONTH:  "What's the Deal with the BK Veggie?"

As I'm sure you've all heard, Burger King has stepped up to the
veggie plate by finally offering a Veggie Burger on the
national menu in the United States.  The patty itself is
produced by Morningstar Farms (a division of Kellogg's) for
Burger King and contains the following ingredients:

Water, mushrooms, water chestnuts, cooked brown rice, textured
wheat protein, rolled oats, vital wheat gluten, frozen onions,
corn oil, frozen carrots, potato starch, frozen green peppers,
frozen red peppers.   It also contains 2% or less of onion
powder, corn starch, black olives, methylcellulose, salt,
modified tapioca starch, rice flour, yeast extract, oat fiber,
sugar, potato dextrin, konjac flour, garlic powder, black
pepper, maltodextrin, natural flavors from non-meat sources,
dextrose, sodium bicarbonate, sodium acid pyrophosphate,
hydrolyzed corn gluten, malt extract, sage, grill flavor,
basil, raisin juice concentrate, oregano, jalapeño pepper
powder, sesame oil, modified corn starch, corn syrup solids,
natural smoke flavoring, celery oleoresin, wine citric acid,
caramel color, and xanthan gum.

VRG intern Jeff Morrison contacted Morningstar regarding the
"grill flavor" and "natural smoke flavor" listed in the patty
ingredients, and was informed that both come from non-animal
sources and contain vegetable-based ingredients.  At the time
of this writing, we were still waiting for information on the
source of Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate.  The sandwich is served
with mayonnaise (contains egg-whites), lettuce, and tomatoes on
a traditional Burger King sesame seed bun, which, according to
Burger King, "contains a dairy component."  Burger King will,
upon request, microwave the burger for customers that are
uncomfortable with having it prepared on the same grill as the
meat patties.