Split Pea and Rice Soup

I ate this soup at the Moosewood Restaurant and immediately asked the
waitstaff which cookbook this is in, I had to have the recipe, and hurrah, I
did have the right book.  I can't imagine making split pea soup the "other"
way ever again, this is superb.

from Sundays at Moosewood, the section from North Africa

 Split Pea and Rice Soup, serves 4

 (I always double the recipe)

 1 cup split peas
 3 cups water
 ---
 2 cups chopped onions
 2 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
 1/4 cup veg stock or white wine
 2 bay leaves
 1 teaspoon ground cumin
 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
 ---
 2 cups vegetable stock
 1/2 cup cooked rice
 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
 1/2 cup cooked rice
 salt and pepper
 1/4 cup fresh parsley
 --
 pimento strips

 Rinse peas and put into a soup pot with 3 cups of water and bring to a
boil.
 Reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes to an hour.
 Meanwhile, sauté the onions and garlic in stock or wine until onions are
 translucent.  Mix in the spices and sauté for 5 minutes more, stirring
 frequently to prevent burning.  Set aside.

 When peas are cooked, stir in the onion mixture and vegetable stock.  Add
 lemon juice and cooked rice and season with salt and pepper.  Stir in the
 parsley and gently reheat if necessary.

 Garnish each bowl with a thin strip of pimento.