not getting digests

I am only getting an occasional digest with just a message or two. Is Michelle still having problems or are there so few messages? Is everyone having this problem?

On a happier note, I just got a great cookbook from the library, it is called, "The Convenient Vegetarian" by Virginia Messina and Kate Schumann, 1999. I especially liked the quick mixes. Some time ago one of our members told us about the mixes she makes her husband for travelling and these are like that. I have been making them for my University children and for my pantry. There are also recipes for "Planovers", where you make up a batch of beans and then use it in 2 or three other ways.

Here is one of the Mix recipes:

Vegetable Rice Mix
makes about 4 cups

4 cups uncooked white or brown rice
1/2 cup dehydrated vegetables (often labeled "soup mix" in the bulk store)
1/4 cup vegetable broth powder
2 teaspoons salt

In a jar with a tightly fitting lid or a large bowl, mix all ingredients.

To cook:

2 cups water
1 cup Vegetable Rice Mix

In a medium saucepan bring water to a boil. Add Vegetable Rice Mix, and return to simmer. Cook, covered, over medium heat until all water is absorbed, about 20 minutes for white rice and 40 minutes for brown.

Makes 4 servings

I mix everything in a bowl and because 4 servings is too much for my kids to use I cut the directions in half to make 2 servings (1 cup cooked). So I put 1/2 cup Vegetable Rice Mix in individual zip lock sandwich bags, then write out the directions on an index card and put it and all the little bags in a large zip lock freezer bag. The cooking directions stay the same just the proportions change. So it becomes 1 cup of water to 1/2 cup Vegetable rice mix.

My kids then can make the rice and add some steamed veggies, or sauteed mushrooms, or a veggie burger or beans or whatever to round out their meal, and any leftover rice goes really well into a miso soup cup or a veggie broth.
They really like them.