Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:23:29 -0800
From: Amy Zuydhoek (Amy@exdesign.com)
I hope you all love this as much as I do. I have to admit that I have
no idea where the recipe came from. A friend gave it to me a few
years back and she had just typed it on a piece of paper for me.
Here's the Curried Chick Pea and Tofu recipe:
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin (I leave it out because I don't like
the taste of cumin)
* 1 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 pinch cayenne
* 3/4 pound tofu, cut in to 1/2 inch cubes
* 1 16 oz. can undrained chick peas (garbanzo beans)
* 2 tomatoes, chopped (I hate tomatoes so I leave them out)
* 1 pinch of salt, or more to taste
Saut=E9 the onion and garlic until the onions are translucent, stirring
Stir in the cumin, coriander, turmeric, pepper, and cayenne.
Add the cubed tofu and cook for a minute or so, stirring constantly.
Add the chickpeas and about 1/2 cup of their liquid, and simmer for 5
Add the tomatoes and continue to cook until thoroughly heated. Add
salt to taste.
Serve over rice. My friend recommended coconut basmati rice (I have
the recipe if you're interested) but I served it over regular brown
rice. This is a dish that I liked to make for lunch at work. So, I
would always refrigerate it after I cooked it and then I had to reheat
it the next day in the microwave at work. It was superb! It's so
bright too which makes it appealing to people (that's turmeric for