Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 23:04:24 -0400 (EDT)
This is an interesting recipe that resembles a German dish minus the rabbit.
2 # frozen tofu, thawed, water squeezed out, and cubed
1-1/2 cups mixed rice & cider vinegar
4 cans non-alcoholic beer
12 oz chopped onion
1 ounce pickling spice
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup unbleached flour
small amount of pan spray
1 tb fructose
3/4 ounce unbleached flour
4 ginger snaps (fatfree), crumbled
1/2 cup plain FF yogurt or plain nondairy yogurt
1. Thaw tofu and cut in cubes. Set aside.
2. Combine vinegars, beer, pickling spice and pepper in a small pot. Bring
them to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. (Put pickling spice in a small
muslin bag or tea ball.) This is the marinade.
3. Simmer onions in the marinade for 15 minutes and then remove. Next add the
tofu and simmer for 15 minutes. and then remove.
4. Allow tofu to cool and drain well. Then toss tofu with 1/2 to 3/4 cup
flour and spray a frying pan with a few puffs of cooking spray. Saute until
brown. sprinkle with the fructose and mix well.
5. Add crumbled ginger snaps and flour to the marinade, simmer and stir until
6. Mix in onions and tofu. Mix well.
Serve with noodles or rice.