Muesli

Hi

Somebody asked about muesli the other day. There are two kinds of
muesli - raw or granola. I make both, the raw kind for myself and the
granola for my husband. They both have the same basic ingredients:
rolled oats, bran, wheatgerm and dried fruit.

For my raw muesli I mix rolled oats with some bran and wheatgerm and
sometimes a very little dessicated coconut. Then I add raisins,
sultanas and chopped dates. Any chopped dried fruit would be nice. I
store it in a sealed container and I don't bother to soak it. I love
it with grated apple and a sprinkle of cinnamon, or with chopped
bananas and soya milk (I have finally managed to find soya milk
powder in South Africa!)

The granola I make for my husband has coconut and a little oil in it,
but I have omitted them. The proportions are a matter of taste.

Granola Muesli
--------------

6 cups rolled oats
1 cup bran
1 cup wheatgerm
1/2 to 1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
a pinch of salt
dried fruit of your choice (raisins, sultanas, dates, apricot etc!)

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large shallow ovenproof tin
(I use my old roasting tin). Mix the water and vanilla essence and
pour over the dry stuff. Stir so that everything is moistened. Bake
at 120C(250F) for several hours, stirring well every half hour to
break up clumps, until dry and slightly crispy. Cool down in the
oven, then mix in dried fruit of your choice. Store in an airtight
container.

Hope this helps.

Jeanette