Old shiitake mushrooms

Holly wrote:

<quote>I opened a bag of shitakes that had been sealed for several months
(airtight, I thought) and found it COMPLETELY infested with teeny little
black bugs. EWWWWWWWW! So look out! <end quote>

I had the same experience. Those bugs are called weevils, and they can
infest rice, lentils, couscous, nuts, flour and other foods that are
supposedly OK to store in the pantry. That's why I keep just about
everything in the freezer, except for foods I use up within 2-3 months.

Alla Linetsky