Quinoa

Quinoa (pronounced KEEN-wah), the so called super grain, is notable for
its high protein content--16%-17% compared with 12%-14% for hard wheat.
It contains more essential amino acids than other grains.  Before
cooking, quinoa must be rinsed to remove its slightly bitter coating.  To
cook quinoa, use 1 part grain to 2 parts liquid and cook for 15 minutes.
     -Taken from The Best of Sunset Light and Healthy Cook Book.

Black Bean and Quinoa Chili
Source:  Vegetarian Times, January 1995 issue

1 cup rinsed and drained quinoa
2 cups of water
Favorite liquid to saute vegetables
1 large onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 cup chopped celery
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (or add more depending on how hot you
want it)
2 tomatoes, cored and diced
1 cup diced carrots
2 16-oz cans black beans, drained
28-oz can crushed tomatoes
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp dried parsley (2 Tbsp fresh)
1 Tbsp dried oregano
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
4 green onions chopped (optional)

Combine quinoa and water in a saucepan, cover and bring to a simmer over
medium heat.  Cook until liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes.  Remove
from heat and let stand about 10 minutes.
	Meanwhile, heat favorite liquid in a saucepan and saute the
onions, bell pepper, celery, and jalapeno for about 7 minutes over medium
heat.  Stir in fresh tomatoes and carrots; saute for 3-4 minutes.  Stir in
beans, crushed tomatoes, and seasonings; cook about 25 minutes over low
heat, stirring occasionally.  Stir in cooked quinoa and cook 5 minutes
more.  Ladle chili into bowls and top with green onions if desired.

Note:  I have never rinsed the quinoa and have never tasted a bitter
taste.  Also, this is my all time favorite vegetarian recipe.  I have made
it for many non-veggie friends and they always like it.  It's great to
take to a party.

Aloha,
Celeste Gafarian (gafarian@xxxxxxxxxx)
Honolulu, HI