Whole grains vs. stone-ground grains

I hope someone can answer this question for me.  According to the
MacDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss, one should eat as many whole
grains as possible and avoid ground/processed grains.  The rationale is
that it takes more energy for your body to process the whole grains.
I'm confused.  If we chew the grains in our mouths, doesn't it end up
the same consistency by the time it reaches the digestive tract?  Just
wondering.....

Thanks,
Sheri