fried gluten

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Susan V. Scatena wrote:

> Good morning. I went to a chinese restaurant last Saturday and had
> something called "Vegetarian General Tso's Chicken". The waiter explained
> it wasn't tofu, but it WAS very good....
> rolled, small pieces you could eat on a toothpick.  The menu said it was
> fried gluten.
> Checked a bunch of veggie cookbooks, no dice.

There are recipes in the archives for making seitan (wheat gluten meat
analogues), so you could start there.  None of those recipes (at first
glance) call for rolling it though, so I'm not sure if they will turn out
like the restaurant style.

However, this type of gluten is widely available in Chinese grocery
stores, at least in my area.  They've got cans of duck, chicken, sausage,
etc.  I've also seen shrink-wrapped refrigerated veggie duck in the
stores.
I have some of the duck in my fridge right now, but I haven't tried it
yet.  I did try the canned sausage last night, and it was pretty good.

Good luck!

Susan