Vegie Burgers

A few nights ago, I felt gutsy enough to try a homemade, ff vegan version
of those wonderful-tasting Gardenburgers.  I ground up a pound of button
mushrooms in my food processor with about 1-1/2 cups of brown rice, 1/2 cup
of chopped onion, and seasoned it with some dried parsley, garlic powder,
salt, vegie boullion, and a couple of drops of liquid smoke seasoning.  I
pressed the somewhat wet mixture into patty shapes in a dry non-stick
frying pan, and cooked them on a medium-to-low flame until they were
browned and solid on the outsides (it took quite a while).  Except that I
got a bit too much salt in them for my taste (the amount in the boullion
was plenty), they were heavenly!  I had put off making them because I
thought they'd be a lot of trouble, but with the food processor, it was a
breeze.  My picky son ate his with a slice of ff american cheese, and asked
for seconds!!  I highly recommend them.

Jane (who's very sorry for not believing all those people who said how
great electric steamers can be--mine has a permanent place of honor on the
countertop next to my beloved food processor!)
-----------------------------

>With summer barbeques on the horizon, I'm looking for recipes for
>homemade veggie burgers, preferably ones that I could cook then freeze
>for later, or freeze uncooked.  I'd love to experiment with different
>bases -- tofu, tvp, grains, veggies -- what's your favourite?

     Jane Smith
     mjsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     Special Collections, Pickler Memorial Library
     Truman State University (formerly NMSU)
     Kirksville, Missouri  USA