Black Eyed Peas

We eat BEPs on a regular basis.  My recipe is fairly simple. It serves
about four normal bowls full.

1 cup BEPs rinsed
4 cups water
1/2 onion diced
1 clove garlic diced fine
Spices:  I never measure my spices, so these are approximations.  I hope
that those who cook regularly understand, and those who do not, e-mail
me and I will try to be more precise. :)
Salt - to taste
Black pepper - medium amount
Crushed red pepper or cayenne - very small amount
Thyme - large amount
Oregano - medium amount
Bay Leaf - 2 or 3 big ones
Soy sauce - 2 tbs (this I do measure)

Saute the onions and garlic in small amount of water til soft.  Add
spices, stir all around for a few then add 4 cups of water and BEPs.  It
takes about 40 minutes or so to cook over medium-high heat ( a gentle
bubble).  Serve over brown rice.  I alway make some cornbread to go with
it.

Felicia
Durham, NC