Thanks, Ideas, Question

To Karen in Singapore, thanks for the reminder of all
the nice varieties of rice, and for the great ideas on
how to use sweet potatoes.  Now I wish I had some in
the house!

To Dana, who bought a bunch of tofu and wonders what to
do with it: hit the archives, because there are plenty
of recipes there.  Meanwhile, try cubing a block of
firm tofu, marinating it (doesn't have to be a long
time) in soy sauce or tamari with some chopped garlic
(and fresh ginger if you have it), and add it to a
stir-fry of veggies over rice.  Or cut into "cutlets",
marinate similarly, and bake (baste with more marinade
if needed).  Serve beside any dish at all.  Throw the
silken tofu into the food processor, thin with a little
soy milk, and season as desired to make a creamy sauce
for pasta and veggies.  These are basic ideas--the
details are in the archives.
Enjoy!

And a question for Lynda, who suggested freezing
surplus tomatoes in their skins: does that apply to all
varieties of tomatoes, or just the Romas, which seem to
have thicker skins?

And Zoe, who wants to eat Asian noodles without 65
ingredients: There's no reason why you can't do a
"theme" stir-fry.  My usual tendency is to throw
everything I have in the fridge and pantry into a
stir-fry, but that's not what you get in Chinese
restaurants.  What you get, typically, is two, three,
or four ingredients over rice or noodles.  Why not a
stir-fry with 3 green veggies (say, celery, spinach,
and green beans)?  or a sweet-and-sour tricolor
one--red (red bell pepper), orange (carrots), and
yellow (pineapple)?  or just onions and mushrooms, with
a little tofu thrown in for good measure?  Be creative.
Anything you can serve over rice, you can also serve
over noodles, that's my motto.  Enjoy.

Sorry for the long post--I got carried away!

Ruth

Ruth C. Hoffman     ruthhoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes."  --Marcel
Proust