Re: Baked tofu

> I have discovered baked tofu at my natural food store. I especially like the
> spicy ones. But are they ever expensive! Does anyone have a recipe for making
> your own? I would love it.
>  It sure is great on a sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and sprouts. Impressive!
> Thanks, Jan Bennicoff

  I had the same dilemma about baked tofu.  One time I called White Wave and found
out during the conversation that to bake tofu is fairly simple:  About 350 degrees
for about 30 minutes.  First,a I press the liquid out of my tofu for about one
hour.  Then, I slice my one pound Chinese style block of tofu in half, making two
chunks about size of a playing card.  Then I slice twice through each chunk ending
up with six slices total, each the approximate size of a playing card and about 1/2
inch thick.  Then I marinate it in whatever kind of marinade I like for a couple of
hours to overnight, take it out of the marinade and bake 30 minutes at 350.  Let
cool, and eat or refrigerate for later.  One of my favorites is to spread each
slice with Patak's Mango Lime Chutney bake and eat for breakfast with homemade
fat-free toast.  It is kind of sweet, but spicy.  Another favorite of ours is a
Thai version. I can't go into it here, as it uses fish sauce, but you are welcome
to e-mail me if you want the recipe.  You could also just use a soy sauce (tamari)
marinade with some paprika, onion and garlic powder, red chili flakes, and rice
vinegar.  This is spicy, but very good on sandwiches.  I also have tried a marinade
with a little red wine, onion and garlic pwder, honey, soy sauce where you heat up
the ingredients first, to blend and then cool and marinate tofu and bake.  I can't
find the recipe, but it is something like 2 T each of soy sauce and red wine, 1 T
honey, 1 t. each onion and garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes. Mostly
just use marinades that you are fond of , or spreads or bbq sauce, and bake and try
it.  If you are worried that you won't like it, try something different for each
card-sized piece of tofu from your pound block and bake them all and try them and
see what you like.