Re: rice cooker tip

Michelle, in this recipe, you say that you put "1/4 cup cereal and 3/4 cup rice" in your cooker.  Surely, you mean "1/4 cupt cereal and 3/4 cut water", don't you?

>>> Michelle Dick <artemis@xxxxxxxxx> 03/22 3:29 AM >>>

My mini rice cooker is getting a double workout these days.  I finally
got around to trying its timer function and it works great to prepare
morning grains!  I just put the grains and water in at night, set the
time I want to eat it and go to sleep.  When I awake, I just scoop
them into a bowl, drizzle on some maple syrup and breakfast is done.

Recently I've been having Arrowhead Mills 4 Grain Plus Flax Cereal.
This is a mix of cracked wheat, oats, rye, barley and flax, all
organic.  10% calories from fat per serving with 6 grams of fiber.
I put 1/4 cup of cereal and 3/4 of rice in the cooker and put it on
porridge setting.  Because this is the mini model of the rice cooker
(the smallest one I could find with fuzzy logic) the cooker has no
problem cooking just the 1/4 cup of grains for breakfast.  Until I
found this little model, preparing rice and grains for just one seemed
more trouble than it was worth (I'm not big on leftover rice and
grains more than a day old).

Once I was in a rush in the morning and forgot to eat the grains.  The
rice cooker kept them hot till I came home.  Then I sauteed the grains
with vegetables and had it for dinner.

The rice cooker gets a double workout when I know I want more grains
or rice for dinner.  Then, after I scoop out breakfast, I immediately
refill it with water and rice and set the timer for dinner time.  On
these days I sometimes pick up a bag of pre-cut, pre-washed vegetables
on the way home from work and dinner is super fast, super fresh (I
keep bottles of szechuan sauce and teriaki sauce on hand as well).

--
Michelle Dick       artemis@xxxxxxxxx       East Palo Alto, CA