New York food

Hi guys:

I'm usually a lurker and I apologize if this question has been asked a million
times before, but can anyone suggest good low-cost places to eat in NYC--my
husband and I will be there for a few days in two weeks and though we lived
once there it was a while ago. We'll be staying on the upper west side but
I'll be bopping around as much of the city as possible (first vacation in four
years!)

Also, has anyone checked out McDougall's new book for women? I ordered it but
haven't gotten it yet and I'm wondering what people think. I'm pregnant with
my third child and I find I get unnecessarily paranoid about getting enough
protein when I'm pregnant--tend to eat more dairy than usual, though I'm not a
milk drinker. I'm wondering if McDougall will talk me out of this.

Sincerely,

Kate