Marinara sauce

Hi everybody. I have been enjoying all your delicious recipes so i
thought it was high time I shared a delicious recipe of my own. This
mouth watering treat is taken from the book Eat Right, Eat Well- The
Italian Way written by Edward Giobbi and Richard Wolff, M.D. (Alfred
A.Knopf  New York 1985)
I use it as a spagetti sauce, lasagna sauce, and just about anything
sauce. It is my favourite and so good.
Marinara Sauce
Makes about 4 cups, for about 11/2 pounds pasta. Serves 6 ( I double it
and freeze)
3 tlbs olive oil
1 tsp safflower oil
11/2 cups sliced carrots
2 cups coarsely chopped onion
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
4 cups chopped tomatoes, fresh if possible ( drain if canned)
2 tlbs chopped fresh basil or 1 tlbs dried
about 1/4 cup water or chic broth. I use veg. broth
Heat the oils in a large shallow pan, then add carrots, onion, salt, and
pepper. Saute, uncovered, over moderate heat until onion begins to
brown, then add garlic and cook about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and basil,
cover, and simmer over low to medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring
occasionally. Pour sauce in a food processor and puree to a creamy
consistencey or force sauce through a food mill.
Return sauce to pan and add enough water or broth to make the sauce the
consistency of heavy cream. Cover and simmer over low heat an additional
10 minutes.
I also add mushrooms to the sauce after it has been pureed.
Hope you all enjoy as much as we do.
Marylouise  :-)