Re: garbanzo question

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Lisa Wozniak wrote:

> i usually soak dried beans for a day. i ended up soaking chick peas for two
> days, covered in a pot. when i went to rinse them they had this strange,
> yeasty smell. is that normal? they taste different than the canned variety.
> is that okay? my husband thinks i am imagining this. he said the smell
> reminded him of something from childhood. i thought it was horrid.
> --lisa

They probably started fermenting. I'd toss that batch and put the next one
in the fridge. (One of my cookbooks recommends putting soaking beans in
the fridge if you are soaking them for longer than 8 hours.)

Jenny Herl              |   "The world has enough for everyone's need,
jlherl@xxxxxxxx         |    but not enough for everyone's greed."
University of Illinois  |
Urbana-Champaign        |    --attributed to Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948)