RE: FATFREE Digest V99 #327

On Saturday, November 27, 1999 6:20 AM, fatfree-request@xxxxxxxxxxx
[SMTP:fatfree-request@xxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 23:24:59 -0800
> From: "Tina Tapping" <hugabear@xxxxxxxx>
>
> How does eating meat ruin the rain forest?
> I don't like meat but it was  told to me through a web page I was
> looking at. and I was wondering if someone could explain.

The greater the demand for meat, the more land must be used to raise
livestock or grow feed for livestock.  By example, the lion's share of US
crops are not grown for human consumption, but for cattle.  In the
rainforest, the soil is not too good for crops, so the bulk of the trees
are cut to clear land for grazing.

Martha