end of Ornish comments

I apologize if I overstepped the boundaries of this group by posting
Ornish related messages. I didn't mean to give advice and appreciate all
the feedback received.

I cook a lot of soup in the fall and winter months and cook enough that I
am generally able to feed both my children (one is in college and the other
just seemingly lazy about cooking) for such a little amount of money. I
freeze the soup and when they come home (both live within 50 miles), they
bring empty
containers and I give them full ones! It feels really good to do this as well.

One day as I was coming home from work, I decided I was too tired to cook
but wanted some soup. I stopped at the supermarket to buy a can of soup and
was shocked at the price! Over $2.00! I got so steamed that decided I
wasn't too tired to cook and went and bought enough vegetables to make a
big pot of soup for just a little over $2.00. That felt really good.

When I get frustrated about "having" to eat vegetarian (actually I am really
choosing to do so but sometimes forget), I get a big lift when I think about
how little money I need to spend to eat this way. I think the most
expensive food item that I buy is soy milk and that is certainly worth the
price!

Here is a recipe that we love:

Il Minestrone Di Mona

1 medium Onion
4 medium Carrots
2 Leeks
2 stalks Celery
1 clove Garlic
2 Tbsp. fresh Italian pepper
2 large Potatoes
2 Tbsp. fresh Italian Parsley
1 cup dried Lentils
4 Zucchini

1 lb. fresh White Beans or
1/2 cup Brown Rice or Pasta (no eggs, preferably whole weat)
1 can White Beans
1 small can of Peeled Tomatoes
1 lb. fresh Green Beans
        or 1 can Baby Peas
3 quarts Water
Vegetable extract for taste

8 croutons

Chop (finely) Onions, Carrots, Leeks and Celery. Mince Garlic. Saute until
Onions are golden in vegetable stock. Add Tomatoes and Parsley. Cook 5
minutes, stiring twice.

Dice Potatoes, slice Zucchini, and add together with Lentils and White
Beans. Simmer 20 minutes covered on low heat. Stir.

Add Water, vegetable extract or flavorings, salt and pepper.

Bring to boil. Boil 5 minutes. Simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
(Add water if needed.)

Add Rice 30 minutes before soup is ready and simmer.

Serve hot with fat free croutons.