Instead of butter or margarine

Recently, there's been some discussion of butter and margarine and their
alternatives.
Although I've been on a very low fat vegan diet for years, the craving for
the taste of butter or margarine on my baked potato - or on a warm piece
of whole wheat sourdough bread with a crispy crust still lingers.

I've experimented with all the so-called low fat spreads (SmartBeat had a
real no-fat margarine for a while, but they no longer do - and most of the
so-called "Fat-Free" spreads are nearly 100% fat) and I eventually came up
with my own substitute for baked potatoes or bread. It isn't the real
thing, but the flavor is close enough to satisfy my craving. And it is
virtually fat free, if you use a very low fat soy or rice milk.

Take a tablespoon of Molly McButter or Butter Buds, mix it in with a third
of a cup of plain soy or rice milk (I use Better than Milk) and mix in
about a teaspoon of corn starch or arrowroot. Heat slowly and stir
constantly until it is thickened. I add a sprinkle of turmeric to give it
a golden color, but it tastes and looks fine as without it.

Neal Pinckney <> Healing Heart Foundation <> Makaha, Hawaii