Re: a formal Christmas party

If it's an affair at a restaurant or through a catering/banquet outfit,
ask for the phone number and call them -- I've never found a restaurant
or caterer that would refuse requests for special meals.  Even those
that serve fixed menus to large groups don't mind doing onesies-twosies
for special meals.  Call ahead beforehand, talk to someone on the staff
when you arrive to let them know you're there, and also tell the server
when they begin serving the table.  You'll find that, if you're just
nibbling at greens and ignoring everything else on your plate, that it
makes the folks around you somewhat uncomfortable, and guilty about
eating what they're eating when you can't eat any.  And the special
veggie plate makes a great conversation starter... :)

I do agree with somebody's comment about eating something beforehand,
though, just in case the caterer screws up the special meal somehow (it
happens)...

Faith

--
Faith                       |"Censorship ends in logical completeness
faith@xxxxxxxxx             |when nobody is allowed to read any books