(no subject)

     This is for Lorie who wants some good potato cakes.  I sued to make them
like your mother in law.  This is how I make them now.  Hope that you find
this tasty.
     I coat the inside of a non-stick skillet with cooking spray.  Fill the
bottom of the skillet with onion slices.  I use the whole slice.  Cover as
much of it as possible and cook on a low heat until the onion is brown on one
side - Turn onion and press mashed potatoes on top - totally covering the
onion and filling the skillet.  Salt and pepper well. Flavored salts are good
here too.  I make the potatoes with just some of the potato water and some
Molly McButter or other flavoring spray.  Sometimes I use instant potatoes
which are good this way.  When the onions are brown on the other side, spray
cooking spray on the potatoes and flip the whole thing.  Continue to cook
until the potatoes have formed a light brown crust.  I do this in a small
skillet for me alone, or a large one to cut into wedges when I have friends
over.  Sometimes I have added an egg substitute, but really this was not
necessary to have a good pancake - just firm mashed potatoes are good enough.
 The taste of the grilled onion is delicious with this recipe.  I have added
sauted onion, or mushrooms and/or green peppers to the potatoes at times.
This is my favorite comfort food.
Enjoy,
Kay in Ky

<<Hi everyone, my mother in law makes these things that she calls potato
cakes.  They are so good, but not so good also.  Unfortunately when I asked
for the recipe, I found out that she takes mashed potatoes, an egg, and
flour.  She adds the egg to the potatoes and adds flour until it is thick
and kinda stiff.  She forms them and fries them.  They look like pancakes.
I was wondering if anyone has a FF recipe for this or has ever tried making
it with egg substitute and cooking spray.  I dont want to waste if it doesnt
come out good.  Thanks so much.

Lorie>>