Re: Peanut wonder and the like

Hi!   For whatever it's worth, there's at least one brand of peanut butter
out there with 85% less fat than regular peanut butter.  I think it is called
Wonder Peanut Spread, but I'm not certain.  I can tell you, though, that it
states specifically that it has 85% less fat than regular peanut butter.  (I
used to be able to buy it only at ShopRite, but there's a Big Bear natural
foods store within walking distance of me which also sells it.)   Now,
concerning the fat intake, I can't blame anyone for wanting to cut back on
fats.  However, you do need a certain amount in your diet -- a mimimum of 14
to 25 grams per day, according to most nutritionists.  Considering that 2
tablespoonfuls of this aforementioned spread contains only 4% of the RDA for
fat - which equates to about 2.5 or 3 grams of fat per serving, as opposed to
what you usually find in most peanut butters - this really isn't unhealthy
for you.  Plus, it still has a lot of protein in it - 4 grams per serving, or
about 8% of the RDA.  About the only thing it doesn't have is fiber, really.
So while I wouldn't advocate gobbling a whole jar of the stuff in one
setting, contrary to what some readers may think, this stuff really isn't
that bad for you.